Search This Blog

Thursday, January 20, 2011

WALTER OSCAR JOHNSON

MY LIFE HISTORY by Walter Oscar Johnson

Submitted by Carolyn J. Christensen


(The following is a compilation of notes written by Walter and Leona. )

By Walter:

I was born in the year 1917, in Shelley Idaho. (Walter was no. 8 in a family of 10.) I was the 8th child of Carl Oscar Johnson and Gerda Hanson Johnson*. (Now, in 2001, he is the only living member of the family.)

Carl & Emma Carl & Gerda

Wilford - Ebba Gerda-Allan-Edwin-Edith-Elsa-Ruth-Wallace-Walter-Bernice-Maurice

I can remember back in 1920 when I was three years old. An older brother, Wallace and I painted an old woodshed and ourselves with tar, and got our first and only whipping with a stick. I also had my picture taken for the first time.

I started school at age five, or nearly six, and in two weeks time I had to quit because I was too young. (He missed the dead-line; started the next year.) The summer following, my father, two older brothers, and I went to Teton Peaks on a Father’s and Son’s outing.

TO SALT LAKE CITY

When I was in the second grade, I, with my mother and Wallace and Edwin, went to Salt Lake City to meet my brother Allan, who had just returned from a mission in Europe. We spent 3 days there. Points of interest we visited were the LDS Tabernacle and the temple grounds, the museum, Utah State Capitol building, Liberty Park, and the J.C. Penny store. There I rode on an elevator for the first time in my life. We returned home on the fourth day and I continued my schooling.

I was baptized October 21, 1922 by Conrad Beckstrand. This was done in the Shelley 1st Ward Church.

The summer previous to starting in the fourth grade, Allan took Wallace and Bernice and me to Yellowstone Park for three days. We spent the nights at Old Faithful, Grand Canyon, and Mammoth Hot Springs.

On January 24, when I was in the sixth grade, I underwent an operation for appendicitis. I was up again and returned to school after two weeks. Exactly 2 months later, March 23, we moved from town to the farm. Dad had traded our house in town for a 40 acre farm on Taylor Road, east of Shelley. We moved into a two room house with a shanty. One room contained all the folks furniture, so there was no room for living in that room. The other room was used for the folk’s bedroom, and also Bernice’s room. The shanty was the kitchen. Maurice, Wallace, and I slept in a tent, all summer, while a 5 room house was being built. I also remember that while we slept in the tent we thought it exciting when the rain beat on it and the thunder rumbled around. It was frightening, yet the tent seemed cozy and warm. This house was a ready cut house, from Montgomery Ward. It cost $1750. Each piece was labeled, telling where it was to go.

We moved into the new house when I was in the 6th grade. When I was in the 7th grade I was lucky enough to win the school and county spelling contest, for which I received a five dollar gold piece - the first I had ever seen. (I later gave this $5 gold piece to dad to help pay the taxes.) I won the contest again in the eight grade, but lost in the county. At the end of the year I was chosen salutatorian and President of the class.

In my early years, it was my job to herd the cows. I would take them to the ‘butte’ for the day. In the evening I had to go get them, and sometimes it was after dark I used to sing to keep my courage up.  I helped on the farm - weeding potatoes, hoeing beets and piling hay.

I remember, especially, the years until I graduated from High School, the winters with their big snow drifts, and the sleigh rides to and from school. In those days most roads wee impassable for cars.

I began playing bass horn in the highschool band. This led to some of my fondest memories of school. We went to band contests, and some of us played solos, of which we were judged. I received a superior rating for my bass horn solo.

I always enjoyed music. I learned to play several pieces on the piano by watching the keys that went down on our player piano. I sang in the glee club, also.


Written by Leona:

Walter grew up in Shelley and graduated from Shelley High School. He was active in student affairs and music. He played bass horn in the band, participated in State music contest and received a superior rating on his solo. He could play piano ‘by ear’, and also learned several pieces by watching the keys go down on the player piano. He sang in glee clubs, later in church choirs and quartets. (MUCH later he took drum lessons and began playing in the orchestra with Leona.)

Walter went to business college in Salt Lake. Returning to Shelley, his first job was with Bingham Agriculture Conservation, where he did surveying of the area farms. He became supervisor. He next worked for Montgomery Ward in Idaho Falls; then he was employed as a teller at the First Security Bank. Here he was promoted to Operations Manager. He was once called by the bank president and asked what he’s like to be. Before any change was made, the bank president died. Walter’s starting salary there was $80.00 a month. He later worked at the Bank of Eastern Idaho where he was in charge of operations and personnel. He was assistant cashier. He worked in the banks a total of 18 years.

After a very serious illness he left the bank and became office manager for Idaho Potato Growers, then Conan Landon Heating Co.

WEDDING BELLS
He married ‘grandma’ June 1st, 1943, in the Logan Temple. He tells everyone he knew her when she was in the 2nd grade. They first lived in an apartment in his parent’s home. Later they bought a small home on S. Blvd. in Idaho Falls.

Walter has always been handy with tools and building things. His first project was a table for the baby basket. At their home on South Boulevard, he did a concrete driveway, built a brick fireplace in the back yard, complete with wading pool for the girls. Then he tackled a really BIG job, and dug a full basement under the house. It took 2 years. He would go down thru a little trap door and shovel dirt from one side to the other - braking thru the hard clay. He broke out the foundation and made a place to haul out the dirt.

He has built furniture of all kinds for the girls and us. Shelves, cradles, tables, clock, headboards, and craft items by the dozens. He has put in lawns, made and fixed all kinds of stuff for the family. His work is professional and a treasure to the family.

Just before Jo Marie was born he bought 4 acres of land from his brother, out on Sunnyside Road. He was contractor, construction manager and carpenter as he built our big house out there. It was a split level. After 1 year, we moved into the family room. Five years later we moved upstairs into the whole house. Walter did all the carpenter work except the kitchen cabinets and finishing up the roof. He built two brick fireplaces, and many built-ins. The house had over 100 drawers.

When asked about his ‘happiest’ time, he says he guesses it was when the first baby was born. He found that same joy with each of the others - but can’t help wishing we had a boy between each of the girls! (Not me, says Leona). He likes nothing better than to visit with the family. We moved to Orem to be near some of them and it has worked out very well. He likes to tell everyone that al of the sons-in-law have been missionaries, have all been bishops, and 3 have been in stake presidencies. All of the grandsons (with Mark yet to go) have served missions, as well as 3 of the grand daughters. All marriages have been in the temple.


CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER DAY SAINTS

Church Positions:

Secretary of Stake MIA, Counselor in Ward MIA, President of Ward MIA

Sunday School President

Counselor in Elders Quorum Presidency

Secretary of High Priest Quorum

Ward and Stake Financial Clerk (under 3 Stake Presidents)

Veil worker in temples - Idaho Falls and Provo

Spanish extraction for three years

Missionary to S. Dakota Sioux Reservation at Oglala (branch President.)

*Since my father was an only child, and my mother’s only brother went to sea and was never known thereafter, I grew up never knowing grandparents, aunts, uncles, or cousins. Both came to America when they were adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment!