Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

JOHNSON-CARL MISSION JOURNAL 1898 Aug and Sept

A Translation of two months of the Missionary Diary
of
CARL OSCAR JOHNSON

Sweden
August and September of 1898

Translated by: Carolyn J. Christensen (1969-1970)

Corrections by:  Emmy Handley and Ernst Eklof

Monday, August 1, 1898
Brother Lee and I visited Sister Lindell and we had breakfast, after which I packed my bag and then visited with Andersons. That evening we had Priesthood meeting and I talked awhile to the brethren.

Tuesday, August 2, 1898
I was just ready to travel and some brothers and sisters were at the meeting room and said good-bye and some others were at the boat and said good-bye. I met Brother Sanberg on the road from Stockholm to Upsala. The Brethren took me with them to the boat. That same evening we visited with Sister Cato and had supper.

Wednesday, August 3, 1989
I took over the expenses from Brother Felt and everything about them was in good order. We were invited to Sisters Fredrika and Emma Sundberg's for supper.
Thursday, August 4, 1898
I wrote and sent some letters and went to Brother and Sister Lundevalls for supper. Afterwards there was a party and social for Brother Felt when some of the Brothers and Sisters were gathered.

Friday, August 5, 1898
I continued with letter writing and went out in the city and visited some places.

Saturday, August 6, 1898
I visited at two places and continued to arrange the branch books.

Sunday, August 7, 1898
We had a meeting at our meeting room at which were quite a few saints; 36 at the first and 42 at the second. A good spirit prevailed and I talked in both gatherings. We had a Council Meeting that evening which was uplifting.

Monday, August 8, 1898
I visited some places and cheered up and encouraged the saints. In the evening, Brother Wiberg told some stories in what I thought was an improper manner. We had Relief Society that evening and I talked to the ladies.

Tuesday we left the city and visited Gystra and went afterwards to Wigte and were overnight at Sisters' Soderquist. Sent to Willsaker. I went from there to Tinsta and visited at Tenbergs and then we went to Gysta and visited Brother and Sister Petterson and were there overnight and were very welcomed.

The day after on the 11th of August we went back to Tinbergs where we were very welcome and then in the evening we had a meeting at Fred's summer place. There were 30 people present and a good spirit prevailed. We were invited to Sister Hegglunds and were there overnight.

Friday, August 12, 1898
Friday the 12th we went to Wigte and held a meeting there in the afternoon and 25 persons were present. The day after we left that place and went to Gystra and had a meeting at Sister Andersons and there were 16 uninterested persons present, but I spoke to them and had a nice time anyway.

Sunday, the 14th, we got up at 5:30 in the morning and went to the city and were home at 8:30. We then went to Sunday School at 11:00 and after we had a meeting and I talked most of the time and also in the following meeting and there were quite a few gathered and a good spirit prevailed. We were invited to Tjodes and Katos to eat.

Monday, the 15th, I left and joined Brother Carlstrom in the city and went to Almunge and went to the saints who took us in and welcomed us. I was at Batmanby and helped Brother Janson work three days in the hay and also in the rye two days and it felt good to work but I was very tired. Sister Maria Bjorklund was there on a summer trip and we had a pleasant and edifying time together. The work made me feel very good.

On Friday, we had a meeting at Batmanby and a good spirit prevailed. A lot from the town came and listened with interest and attention.

Saturday, the 20th, we left Botsmanby and visited Juline and the old sisters at Notterhagen and they were glad to see us, after which we went to Ostund's in Christianlund and Carlstrom and I separated and he went to Bjorkby and I went in the company of Ostlund to Bromstatt and visited Anders Anderson and stayed all night.

Sunday, the 21st, I awoke at 4:00 and hurried and went to Almunge station and took the 6:40 train and met Broth Carlstrom and got home at 8:30 and attended Sunday School at 10:00 a.m. and Brother Anderson talked the whole time to us. At 5:00 p.m. we had another meeting and I spent the whole time talking to those assembled. In the evening, Carlstrom and I were at Fredrika Andersons and had supper.

Monday, the 22nd, I finished sending the "Stjernan"(the Mormon paper "Star") after which Brother Carlstrom and I left the city and went to Bjorklinge where we separated and I went to Tinbergs and stayed overnight.

Tuesday, the 23rd, I went to Skytorp and road the train to Tjerp. I had a good reception by the saints and I was there until Friday, the 26th, and while there I cheered and encouraged the saints and visited some non-members and made more new friends and had a good meeting. I received great joy because we baptized Anders Hanson who had studied the gospel for 18 years. I was treated well there and will be welcomed soon again. We had to find a new place to preach. I stayed at Tinbergs overnight.

Saturday, the 27th, I went back to Stockholm and met the Brethren there and I had writing to accomplish and some business so my time was well taken up. Brother Anderson and I visited Heldia Anderson and had a good supper.

Sunday, the 28th, we had the usual Sunday School and two other meetings which were well attended. Sister Dahlman and Hildur were with us and I felt happy. Some 20 members attended our meeting. I and Brother Anderson was at A. P. Karlsons at dinner.

Monday and Tuesday I was in the city and performed some Branch business and visited Sister Dahlman and her daughter and encouraged them the best I could. We were also able to visit some other members.

On Wednesday, the 31st o August, I left Brother Carlstrom at Upsala and caught the train to Lenna and thereafter, went to Uffsbyggden because we had intended to meet some folks at Bromslau, but they were not at home. We then went till we came to Ostlunds at Christianlund and found them home and they were glad to see us. The weather was rainy and we stopped there over night.

The next day I went to Batmanby and my companion to Bjorby. The weather was still unsettled so I did nothing of much importance.

Friday and Saturday we were in Batmanby and helped Brother Johnson to mow and we worked till we were very tired, but still it was good to have a little exercise for the muscles.

Sunday, September 4th, we had a meeting announced at Kargarvan which we held at 11 a.m. and a great lot of folks were present and several old investigators and folks were there. We had also a meeting at 4 p.m. and many folks were there and a good spirit prevailed so it was a pleasant place to speak and we had a feast the whole day. We were asked to come back again when we could. We called at several places on the way and came back to Batmanby late in the evening.

I worked then for Johnson three days because I realized he had much to do and he was alone, but we were not idle in our calling because Monday evening we drove one and one half miles and had a meeting at Bjorby and had a pleasant time and talked to the people and after the meeting ended, I confirmed a son which brother Carlstrom had before baptized. The Ostlund family accompanied us there so there were five of us. We had a pleasant time in Batmanby and Wednesday afternoon we got ready and left our friends there and went to Sande, to Juline's and to Notterhagen and to Ostlunds in Christianlund. We had a pleasant afternoon and we had the joy of getting a family in the church at Juline's.

The next day, early in the morning, we left our new comers who were glad indeed and we went on our way to Upsala, and as we came home, I had to have my report arranged for the Conference. In the afternoon of the same day, a social was arranged in the meeting hall which gave us great joy.

Friday morning, the 9th, we left Upsala by boat and after a pleasant journey we came to Stockholm at 2:30 pm, and we found most of the missionaries had come and I gave my report and received my accommodations at Brother and Sister Svensons in Klippan which I was glad about. I was at the meeting hall and said hello to my many acquaintances. In the evening, Conference began and the Branch President gave his report about his stewardship and some of the other brethren bore their testimony.

Conference continued on Sunday with three meetings then all the brethren bore testimony and talked about the power and workings of the gospel and all felt fortunate in their work. I received a call to preside over the Narrlands Branch with John H. Anderson and C. Bohman as my counselors. I felt much sadness over this calling and was almost ready to refuse, but I received good instructions from Brother George Christenson so I felt better and I had a good conversation with Brother Sanberg which turned out for the best.

During the Monday meeting we had more instructions which were of great value and we even had a social the same evening which was very pleasant. It was arranged by the committee and to the satisfaction of all.

During Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, I talked to the members and friends in the city and went through my stewardship so I would have all things completed to be submitted and on Thursday afternoon, we had a very pleasant meeting.

This was a time of great variations for me and during this the members and friends visited me with great affection and kindness, but my feelings were restless and I was tired to the utmost, but I am thankful that I am now content this is being passed and desire in the future to take learning thereof.

I left Stockholm Friday, the 16th, for Upsala. When I arrived, I heard the members were not happy because I could not come back and they desired to have that changed, but I sought to avert their actions and tried to encourage them with the intent of doing the best I could I was called, and one thing is more important than all else, namely the direction of the Most High.

I visited some places on Saturday and attended to some Branch business in order to have everything in order.

Sunday, the 18th, we had two good meetings and I had the opportunity to occupy most of the time in both meeting and a good spirit prevailed. I was to Eklunds for dinner and to Sister Fredrika Andersons for supper. There were many of the members who felt a loss because I was leaving but I tried to console them in the best manner.

Monday and Tuesday, I went about putting things in order, and took farewell of the members. There was a Relief Society meeting on Monday evening and 17 sisters were present, and a good spirit prevailed and I talked to them a good while.

On Tuesday evening, a farewell meeting for me was arranged and they collected a good present for me for which I was very thankful.

Wednesday, the 21st, I left Upsala by boat and came to Stockholm at 2:20 pm. I immediately took my things to the Olands boat, the Nerdstjarnan (The North Star) which would take me to Sundsrall. Where after, I visited some of the members and went to the Anderson family. I stayed in the meeting hall over night.

The day after I had a few things to settle with President Sanburg and he gave me five crowns which was a present. Noon was the time set for the boat to leave and I appeared there and Brother Swenson was there with a bag of fruit and a crown as a present. The feeling all around was one of sadness and I felt myself blessed. The boat left at 1:15 and all was excellent, but at 7:00 in the evening, it began to rock which caused me to be somewhat ill, so I went to bed rather early, and I slept well the whole night until 5:30 in the morning.

And so we landed at 6:45 and the brethren were there to meet me and I now saw the city where I had spent my first mission time nine years ago. And I though how I wanted to do very good in my mission. A man came to take my things to a room. I also went there and felt myself at home, but that didn't last long.

I desired to see the members which I did. I visited at Hoglunds, Linds, and Wallbergs. I then had to submit both quarterly and monthly reports and prepare the chapel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment!