Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

JOHNSON, CARL - MISSION JOURNAL pages 52-57


Carl Oscar Johnson’s Mission Journal – pages 52-57

January 11-21, 1899

(page 52)

I stayed with the Olof Ladins not far from where our meetings were held and I had a wonderful home there with them, and they were as good as possible to me.

Thursday the 12th.  I took a tour up to Langliden because I heard that there was somebody who wanted to offer a room there, but at the agreed place they could not let it be used, so I let it be, but my feelings told me to go to another place, and there I was as good as expected and a meeting was scheduled there for the same evening, and I began to invite people to that location.  When I returned there was a request again from Boda to preach there again on Saturday night.  But I preach[ed] in 2 evenings on Thursday and Friday evenings at the Kristoffer Johnsons and quite a lot of people were there and [it was]very enjoyable to preach and the worthy people were very friendly to me.

(53)

I visited the Lindes at Langliden and was warmly greeted by them.  I also became acquainted with Ireius Ledin who has been in America for some time and he was very interested in the Gospel.  On Saturday evening I had a good and well attended meeting in Boda again and it now appears the spirit of the gospel has come upon the people more than before and they wanted another meeting the next day.  Because I will be leaving the area, I scheduled a meeting on Tuesday night.  After I was home with the Ladins [Ledin(?)] for a time, the school teacher, Akerlund came (somewhat heated) and wanted a debate which I agreed to and scheduled it to be in an open meeting at 3 p.m. on Tuesday afternoon.

On Sunday morning I left Boda in company with Linde  [Theodore? ]and was assisted across the river by A. Hammarstrom, then went further to the Selanders at Korsamon where 2 meetings were scheduled during the day.

(54)

There were so many people that they nearly filled 3 rooms and a remarkable power was enjoyed, and we had good music then.  One played the organ and 2 played guitars.  I felt true happiness to be able to work and be at this place when the people showed such an interest.  And several Langvadja[r] [Lanvagen residents] asked me to come to their homes for future meetings, however I could not because the time did not allow me, but I promised to visit them in the future.

Monday the 16th.  I said farewell to the Selanders and visited the Modins and was well received, and then walked to Westana and visited several places to which I was invited, and where I was especially well accepted, where I came and spoke with them about the gospel and its blessings, and several said they were prepared to obey it.  I was invited to stay overnight with the Bormans who also said they were believers.

(55)

Tuesday the 17th.  I visited Nordlund and was there for a while after which we went to the Alfvars and several were gathered there who planned to go to Boda [for the debate], and we were 7 in company.  Arriving there we saw people come from all areas gather in the school house, and at 3 o’clock it was as full as it could be, and the school teacher Akerlund took the lead position [and] received several questions which I answered from the scriptures, and which seemed to be to the people’s satisfaction.  My opponent misspoke himself a couple of times, but asked forgiveness and acknowledged that he was wrong.  The debate lasted for 2 hours.  Thereafter I had the most well-attended meeting I have ever had in the land, and spoke 1 ½ hours and I as well as the people were satisfied, and I hope that the truth shall bear fruit in this region and may God bless all those who have done good to me and who have shown me so much friendliness.

(56)

Wednesday the 18th.  I said goodbye to my friends in Boda and walked 4 1/2 miles to Garkvisle and visited a Lidberg who wanted me to come and hold a meeting there, and he has got a good place with farmer Nils Melin at which place I preached 2 nights, and many people were there and appeared to be attentive, and the leader of the United Brethren [Moravian] who was part of the previously mentioned committee, indicated he was very pleased and I was invited to return to the same [meeting] place.  Later a meeting was scheduled with Engom at Nils Lidberg so I had to go back one mile, and my friends from Westana came there and felt very happy to once again have an opportunity to hear a sermon and they wished me good fortune and prosperity and welcome back again, and that they would wait for that time,

(57)

and after the meeting’s conclusion there was a man who said he wondered if I would hold another meeting, so interested was he.  I went home with Jonas Lidberg and slept there over night.

Saturday the 21st.  I left Garkvisle and went to Liden village and the weather was nasty with much snow.  I stayed overnight with Hagstrom.  Next day I went to Ostloning Indahl and stayed with Lars Hogelin overnight and was well received at these places.  Next day I walked 20 miles to Sundsvall and because of the unclear road and [which made it] hard to walk, I became very tired, therefore I was glad to be home again and very satisfied with the work I had done.  I had [in value] over 23 kronor [crowns’ worth] of tracts and books with me when I went [to the Indals region]. (and) I had only 1 “The Voice of Truth” and “A Glad Message” for 17 ore (cents), and many books were contracted out [sold or loaned].

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment!