Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

EDYTHE JOHNSON LLOYD

Posted by Carolyn Christensen, cousin of Edith/Edythe Johnson Lloyd, and grand daughter of Carl O. Johnson.

The following was sent to me by Edith/Edythe Johnson Lloyd, daughter of Allen Oscar  and Rula Beck Johnson.  I had always assumed Edith was named for my great aunt Edith who died as a teenager.
I am hoping Edith will send me a picture of her and her family.

Dear Carolyn,

I am sending you this information. I always grew up thinking I was named after my Aunt Edith. It is spelled this way in Grandmother Johnson's records. When I and my husband went to Mexico a few years ago we had to have our birth Certificate to get into the country. To my surprise I found my name spelled Edith. I had gone by the spelling Edythe for so long and it was a real surprise ot me. Of course, my mother was still alive at that time and living with me and I asked her about the spelling. She told me that my Aunt's name was spelled Edith but that when I was in the first grade, she decided to change the spelling of my name to Edythe. Well, I had to take my mother and two forms of Identification into the Bureau of Vital Statistics to have them change the spelling . I had gone by Edythe for so many years that I was told that it would be a problem when it came to getting on Medicare and Social Security and other places if it didn't match my birth record. Anyway, I had to make this change. Mother told me she liked the Edythe spelling better than the Edith spelling. I hope this is clear to you. And I was told that my Aunt Edith died at about 16 or 17 years of age. Dad was on his mission so he wasn't to sure as to her age

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment!